Monday, May 27, 2013

Creating just for the sake of creating


I was inspired today from something I read from Tim Holtz (on his blog, here): "there are times when you just need to immerse yourself in creativity and just go with it, wherever it may take you." Also, Julie Fei-Fan Balzer gave me additional inspiration in her article in the May/June 2013 edition of Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine.  Basically, I wanted to create something without the worry of any mess that may have resulted.  In fact, I gave myself permission to hate it.    It was right at that moment that I loved what I saw come to life and just went with it!

Here's a few 'in-progress' pics:
To start, I took a sheet of Bristol card stock and sprayed it with a variety of Dylusion Inks.  Diluted a little with some mists of water and blotted off then dried.  I then took random strips of tissue paper (the patterned one is Collage-Paris from 7gypsies) and some Ranger matte-finish Glue-n-Seal and started laying down the strips of paper.  The Glue-n-Seal started to react with the ink, which didn't surprise me, and the colors blended even more.  It was now that I really started to like this.

Now, I began to add some various stamped images and stencils using a variety of Distress Stains and Paints.  I also bordered it with patterned tape.

To finish it up, I added a few more stamped images, decorative brads and eyelets, some mixtures of embossing powders on the butterfly (using a Perfect Medium Pen allowed me to choose the areas where I wanted the powder to adhere) and, finally, a die cut from grunge paper that was colored up with Distress Paint and Ink and topped off with a 'dream' rub-on transfer.  My wife believes it'll look good in a black frame - which does sound good to me, too.

So, I was able to enjoy my day off by being creative - which was just fine in and of itself.  The bonus this time was that I actually ended up making something I didn't hate!

No comments:

Post a Comment